»

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Tacloban, Leyte

We had an emergency work call in Tacloban, so we immediately booked our flight the next day. We arrived at Daniel Romualdez airport  on a late afternoon. And since government offices was already closing we decided to drop by Palo, Leyte wherein Leyte Memorial Landing is situated. I remember when I was in elementary, the historical words of Douglas Mac Arthur "I shall return". A promise to the Filipinos to liberate them from the Japanese occupation. The memorial consist of larger than life bronze statues of Mac Arthur,  President Osmena and others.



Our day has not ended here yet, we still have time to proceed to San Juanico Bridge (also known as the Marcos Bridge). It is the longest bridge in the Philippines and one in Southeast Asia with a total of 2.2 kilometers. This was built by the late President Ferdinand Marcos as a gift to his wife Imelda Romualdez Marcos as a testimony of his love.
The bridge connects Tacloban to Samar. The strait below the bridge has a numerous islets that offers a picturesque views.




Aside from the places to visit, one should not miss to try their local delicacies. In Tacloban, they offer delicious treat of Binagol a sweetened taro pudding with nuts. It is packaged and  steamed using banana leaves and polished coconut shells.


Another is the chocolate Moron which for me is very addicting to my taste buds. It is similar to suman wrapped in banana leaves but with a  twist of  chocolate mixed in  glutinous rice.   I bought this one as my pasalabong. 


I never had the chance to explore more of Tacloban. Given the chance again I will definitely spend time to visit some historical places of this City. See you soon!




0 comments:

Post a Comment